The below listed core values are stated to be the standard the Sheriff expects her office to meet and exceed as their mission. Posted on her site, they appear to have been last updated March of 2012.
If the breaking news last night about Aldon Smith’s treatment by the Sheriff did nothing else, it shows the Sheriff needs a serious refresher on her own stated core values.
Kevin Jensen has proven through his years of service that he believes in all of the core values and strives to meet them and lead by example, avoiding “do as I say, not as I do” style tactics. It’s time to work towards changing the face of the office to one far less angry about being held to an ethical standard than the face we saw last night on the news.
The Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office is dedicated to the preservation of public safety by providing innovative and progressive service in partnership with the community.
- Our principal mission is protection of life and property
- Our employees are our most valued asset
- We strive to maintain the highest level of public trust
- We demand the highest standards of honesty and integrity
- We value community partnerships
- We treat each other, and the community, with dignity and respect
- We recognize diversity as a strength
- We value personal and professional growth through education and training
- We recognize the importance of investing in the future of our community’s children
- We recognize the importance of fiscal responsibility through performance-based management.
The Sheriff also has a copy of the Law Enforcement Code of Ethics posted to her site as adopted by the state some years ago. A code that all sworn peace officers of any worth strive to follow. For more information on that, please visit The Phantom’s blog where he has already addressed the values and history behind this code and the Sheriff’s open disregard for everything stated within it.